Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thailand: A Teacher's Perspective

From kayaking, to the cave hike, to the madness of Bangkok, our leaders Andy and Courtney created a group dynamic that was supportive, engaging and fun. I watched young adults push themselves. I watched new friendships emerge. I saw kindness, understanding and intrigue.

Our ears were open and eyes wide. Our guides were given full attention. Their knowledge and personalities kept the students engaged. Through the heat, humidity and strenuous activities, we were educated, entertained and immersed. Immersed in a place that seemed out of reach before being there.

Time seemed out of place and everything was better than I could have imagined. This was not my first trip to Thailand. It was my best trip to Thailand. I gained a renewed perspective on life and inspiration.

What I liked most about the trip is that I never felt like a tourist. We did so much away from the tourist attractions that we did not see other westerners for the first eight days.

One thing that really stands out was our community service activity with a local high school. I was impressed with both our students and the Thai students ability to communicate and cooperate with little understanding of each others' language. Together they built a sustainable garden which has since been added to and grown to three time the size of the original.

The service project was important because neither Andy or me wanted to do something just for the sake of doing it. To hear that what we helped start has grown and is contributing to the betterment of their school community has strengthened my belief in World School's mission.

World School doesn't just you send you on a trip. They give you an experience that lasts forever.


Mike FLynn

High Tech High International

Thailand 09

No comments: